Monday, July 13, 2009

We use our lighters a lot, and we are on Facebook too much. These are acceptable flaws of my generation, I guess, but not really actually. The thing is, it's easy for people to ignore all the things they did that were really stupid. It seems to me that they're obvious (especially with the boomers) so I'm not gonna defend my generation with a list of flaws, but I'd just like to argue with one little detail. I don't agree with the opinion of previous generations that a mega-superstar is a really important and fantastic thing. Some people are pointing out that our generation can't have superstars like Michael Jackson and the Beatles because of the internet. I don't really see what the problem is. I'm satisfied with a variety of artists having careers in music and thusly creating material for a variety of music fans who get something out of the listening to and experiencing it, etc., I just don't see why it's so integral that there should be artists who everyone in the world knows the same way they know McDonalds. Plus, I think it's also just kind of logical that as rock music grows older and is available easier and easier the superstar of that caliber would be less frequent. I don't know, maybe I'm just thinking too much about it.

No comments: